[wellylug] UBUNTU 5.10 Dapper. First experiences!

robcollins55 at aim.com robcollins55 at aim.com
Wed Nov 15 16:44:28 NZDT 2006

 Thanks for the comments Daniel, very useful. Just a coupla things to add:

 When I forced a working "log in as root" setup on K(U)buntu, the only login that I could then do anything administrative-wise with was the "root" one. ie - it basically meant that I could no longer "sudo" from any of the other users in KDE which was totally frustrating. In my experience, the whole force-root-acess-on-ubuntu thing just undid a lot of work the ubuntu team put in to get sudo working well. Personally I would love to have root login access to KDE for the purpose of installing new software etc, but it seemed to cause this bloody sudo problem elsewhere.

 Automatix2 - this installer may be the only hope for relatively inexperienced users such as myself for installing difficult-to-install stuff such as java and flash for firefox and swiftfox plus plugins!

 Rob