[wellylug] NETBEUI on Ubuntu

Gerald Roehrbein Gerald.Roehrbein at oraforecast.com
Sat Oct 21 22:32:08 NZDT 2006

Hello John,

as described in the private answer: No. I'm not suggesting to install a
FTP client.

I do not use FTP for round about 10 years. FTP is an unsafe protocol
opening a lot of vulnerabilities. If  WS-FTP do not speak SCP today than
replace it with a useful SCP client. I've used WS-FTP last time 5 years
ago. Probably it speak SCP today. I do not know this.

Password sniffing is just very simple if using FTP.

A really simple way to do that is using ngrep
(http://ngrep.sourceforge.net/)

ngrep 'USER|PASS' src host <your host> and tcp port 21

Real hackers can do this using a lot of other famous tools. For a not so
experienced user NGREP is really an eye opening software. Try it. It's
just easy to become a hacker.

I'm not suggesting to install any FTP server or client but it's a
possibility.

kind regards
Gerald