[wellylug] Kubuntu not mounting devices anymore

Gerald Roehrbein Gerald.Roehrbein at oraforecast.com
Mon Oct 30 06:38:28 NZDT 2006

Hello Steve,

auto mount is configured in /etc/fstab. It seems that there is a bug in
the KUBUNTU HAL. It seems that there is a patch already available.

I've found in a German UBUNTU Newsgroup some users having the same
problem. It looks like a UBUNTU bug. A solution is to add your drives
manually to the /etc/fstab.

This is from an UBUNTU list:

=============
The root of the problem is bug #377689 in HAL. Feel free to read that
for more details. You can work around the issue for now by ensuring
that all your drives have lines in /etc/fstab with the "user" option.
=============

It was said that there is a bugfix for the HAL already available.

My solution is:

I always configure /etc/fstab  manually and I've never had a problem
with the automounter because I've never configured the automounter in a
different way.

The next line show /etc/fstab for one USB device at my Notebook.

/dev/sda1                /media/devstick         vfat
rw,nodiratime,umask=000,shortname=mixed,codepage=850 0 0

To check your USB you can use following commands:

[orac01]# lspci
Are there any USB controllers available?

At command line you will see your USB devices with the command lsusb.
[orac01]# lsusb
Are there any USB drives/devices attached?

The first USB drive attached is /dev/sda and the second is /dev/sdb.
Each partition of the drive is numbered by 1,2,3,4.

So you have partition sda1,sda2,...or sdb1,sdb2,...!

If there is only one USB drive attached you can mount it manually with

mkdir /media/<myusbdrive>
mount /dev/sda<n> /media/<myusbdrive>

(Probably you have to add the -t option because you have to tell mount
the filesystem type.)

If this works you can write the required line to /etc/fstab because you
have gathered all required information.

To unmount it manually use
umount /dev/sda<n>

Hope it helps.