[wellylug] Very new to Linux - have a few questions

sweettea at vodafone.net.nz sweettea at vodafone.net.nz
Wed Sep 20 06:50:10 NZST 2006

 Apologies for the second - email. Emailing without morning coffee is not good. What do I think of Ubuntu? I LOVE it! As I'm sure y'all have figured out, I am not a computer person. But I have enough of a background to appreciate the terminal. Ubuntu is clean and elegant, a lovely combination. What's good and what's bad about it? The good, for me is that the developing community seems to be striving to make changes or improvements that the users want. In the spirit of open-source, it seems to me, many talented creative people are able to create a very efficient and accessible alternative to the usual operating systems. Sort of like the best-of-the best thing.I could be way off base with this - I have to use a Windows environment at work - and I feel like I have more problems with it, Windows, for me is too _busy_, annoying, and generic. If that makes any sense at all. I also have a Mac, hooked up to the stereo. I find the Mac OS much preferable to Windows. But neither gave me the feeling that I had control of the machine like Ubuntu does. The Mac is just for music these days. The flip side is that Ubuntu has been a bit of a learning curve. Patience is required, which is certainly fine by me. I do try to read as much as I can before plowing ahead, cause I have this nagging suspicion that I could seriously mess things up if I'm not careful!Also, there will never be a time when I will have the skill level to contribute to open-source development, so that makes me feel a little guilty. I have contributed with the $$ though, so hopefully that is something! The short of it, I just love Ubuntu! And y'all are going to show me at the next meeting how to move some music files from the Windows partition and then how to remove that partition completely.-Ti-----Original Message-----From: Ian Sterling Sent: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 03:54:41 -0700To: "Wellington Linux Users Group" Subject: Re: [wellylug] Very new to Linux - have a few questionsOn 9/18/06, Donald Gordon wrote: > On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:36:16 +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote: > > > [1] These are all semi-legal or illegal, but are typical, and are not > > actively prosecuted. > > *All*? Under NZ law? "semi-legal"? Only in stupid countries like France or the USA, where I unfortunately reside. *sigh* ...only two more years and we can remove this idiot president from office. If we don't implode by then... So, Ti - what do you think of Ubuntu so far? What's good and what's bad in your humble opinion? --Ian... -- Wellington Linux Users Group Mailing List: wellylug at lists.wellylug.org.nz To Leave: http://lists.wellylug.org.nz/mailman/listinfo/wellylug