[wellylug] Very new to Linux - have a few questions

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Sep 20 13:17:08 NZST 2006

"Ian Sterling" <xyverz at gmail.com> writes:
> On 9/18/06, Donald Gordon <don at dis.org.nz> wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:36:16 +1000, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
>>
>> > [1]  These are all semi-legal or illegal, but are typical, and are not
>> >      actively prosecuted.
>>
>> *All*?  Under NZ law?  "semi-legal"?

I already noted that I didn't mean all, I just wrote it while trying to
work out how to put this well. :/

> Only in stupid countries like France or the USA, where I unfortunately
> reside.  *sigh*

However, no -- that page includes links to the "w32codecs" package to
give you a collection of Windows binary video codecs.

Using these has the advantage that you can play various audio and video
formats that are widely used, but for which no free decoder works.

That distribution is absolutely, without question, a violation of the
license agreement of the Windows drivers in some cases[1].

So, yes, even in New Zealand or Australia you are breaking the law by
using some of the packages on the restricted formats list.

Other issues, like the MP3 patents, also vary: don't assume that they
are invalid in your region.  While I am not a lawyer I am assured that
they do hold in Australia, so commercial use requires a license.

So, yeah.  I stand by what I meant, which is that some of 'em are of
dubious legality. :)

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Quicktime, for example.

--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/