[wellylug] Backup Files - Ubuntu

sweettea at vodafone.net.nz sweettea at vodafone.net.nz
Thu Sep 21 06:40:32 NZST 2006

Hi Joseph,I've a five-pack. You're more than welcome to one. Send an email to sweettea[at]vodafone.net.nz and we can figure out a convenient place to meet or alternatively, send me your mailing address and I'll put a cd in the mail. Chao,   -Ti-----Original Message-----From: Arands - Wellington Sent: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:27:32 +1200To: Wellington Linux Users Group Subject: RE: [wellylug] Backup Files - Ubuntu Hello Thanks for all the replies - much appreciated.  Our system is pretty basic, so it looks as though I have backed-up the most important stuff.  The Ubuntu website suggested that the recommended path to upgrade from Hoary was via Breezy, but the Wellylug advice suggests to me that upgrading from Hoary directly to Dapper should be OK.  In which case, my backup files will hopefully be for reference only.  I'd like to attempt the upgrade myself (but please feel welcome to caution me against doing so).   Is the Dapper Installation CD easily available somewhere in Wellington?  Thanks again. Joseph On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 16:39 +1200, Jethro Carr wrote: On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 15:52 +1200, Geraint M. Jones wrote: > I hit send too soon > > I seriously urge you NOT to restore the /etc from v5 over the top of > the /etc of v6 not least of all because apt wouldn't work any > more /etc/apt/sources.list would be b0rked you don't want to restore an older /etc directory completely over a new one, but you DO want to back it up. This way you can always refer to old configuration files (eg: xorg.conf) that might come in use if you have a problem. Or you may want to check how your old apache config worked, etc. In terms of backing up /usr/local/ - have you added anything in there at all? cheers,