[wellylug] Java GUI on Ubuntu

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri Apr 6 17:19:08 NZST 2007

Andrew McClure <andrew at coastalwatch.co.nz> writes:

> I'm trying to get a simple GUI Java application running on Ubuntu.
>
> When running in VNC mode (DISPLAY set to local X server), the
> application starts to run but hangs after

[...]

> I've tried downloading and reinstalling all of KDE, and changing java
> to IBM's JVM, but all to no effect,

Changing KDE isn't going to help -- it doesn't have much of anything to
do with Java.

Two things to consider:

Does this fail when you use another X server than the VNC server?

If so, consider that it could be some incompatibility between the
requirements of the X extensions the Java implementation is trying to
use and the VNC server.

I have no suggestions for resolving that but your upstream vendor may;
file a bug on it.

Second, which Java are you using?  The original Sun Java should be
trouble free while my experiences with GCJ and BlackDown were almost
uniformly less successful.

If you have more than one installed you probably want to run
'update-java-alternatives' as root to select the preferred
implementation.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/