[wellylug] Java GUI on Ubuntu

Andrew McClure andrew at fortex.co.nz
Fri Apr 6 16:42:29 NZST 2007

I'm trying to get a simple GUI Java application running on Ubuntu.

When running in VNC mode (DISPLAY set to local X server), the
application starts to runsbut hangs after

[Loaded sun.reflect.UnsafeQualifiedStaticObjectFieldAccessorImpl from
shared objects file]

// It doesn't get further than this!  The next line is the code that
should have been executed, and I can get this when running it against
an  X Server on a remote host  (i.e. changing the DISPLAY variable -
the remote host is a Windows box running Exceed).

[Loaded java.awt.geom.Point2D from shared objects file]

Followed by more java.awt. type class loadings ...

And then the app runs fine.   (The test app. is of the standard
ControlPanel utility that comes with Sun's jre).

I've tried downloading and reinstalling all of KDE, and changing java
to IBM's JVM, but all to no effect,

Likely to be something stupid, but I'm not getting any debugging.

Any help, much appreciated.

Andrew

Andrew McClure <andrew at fortex.co.nz>
Wellington, NZ