[wellylug] Computer System Vendor Wgtn

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jethrocarr.com
Sat Apr 21 13:54:47 NZST 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-21 at 10:35 +1200, Cliff Pratt wrote:
>  > So you have to buy a spare or two, or just hope that it won't
> > die at an inconvenient time. Software raid is much easier, replace the
> > faulty parts, get the kernel drivers compiled for whatever changes
> > you've made, and your system is back.
> >
> > Getting the raid running that quickly sure beats restoring from backups.
> >
> I don't believe that reloading a software RAID is quicker. Firstly, you
> have to install the Operating System on the first disk, then you have to
> partition and format the second disk (assuming RAID 1 for the moment),
> then you have to copy all the data to the second disk, then you have to
> build the RAID, which writes the superblocks on the disk. Then you have
> to reboot.
>
> Once you have a pristine software RAID, then and only then can you
> install stuff on it. And hope like hell it doesn't throw a superblock
> error five minutes after it is all installed.
>
> With a hardware RAID you just connect to the build server and load
> everything on, 15 - 20 minutes, tops. No superblock errors, failures are
>   notified to me if they do happen and you just pop a disk out and pop a
> new one in. Trying doing that with software RAID!

? I don't know how you are making it such a complicated process.

1) Install OS - setup software raid partitions when running the
partitioner.

2) System reboots into installed OS. raid builds itself in the
background.

3) If disk dies, remove the disk, stick new one it.

4) Use the raidhotadd and sfdisk to add the new drive into the raid
array(s). Linux will now build the new raid disk.

If you have hotswapable hard drives, the only reboot needed is for the
end of the OS install!

--
Jethro Carr

www.jethrocarr.com