[wellylug] Which KDE dialler/monitor for FC5

Carl Turney c.turney at orcon.net.nz
Fri Aug 3 11:02:56 NZST 2007

Hi Folks,

I've just changed from Gnome to KDE (because most of the Hutt WellyLUG
guys use KDE, and it'll make getting help easier in the future) on my
FC5 system with an external dial-up modem.

I liked ModemLights when on Gnome... It could dial-up & disconnect, as
well as display TX/RX as it happened and traffic levels, and also show
"up/down volumes to date" totals when pointer-hovered.

This "Fedora - System - Network Device Control - Select Device -
De/Activate" is cumbersome, and it's frustrating to not monitor online
status and traffic levels.

I've heard about kppp, knetstats, and knemo (there may be more)?

Am finding it hard to find out which of these does how many of the above
features.  Also don't know which of these is (was - ha ha) most popular
with fellow WellyLUGgers, especially Hutt attendees.

Your suggestions are welcome, this morning, Friday 3 August.

Thanks, Carl Turney, Mob. 027 6913 080