[wellylug] Sis 760gx setup

Steve Macdonald steve at twininstallations.co.nz
Thu Feb 1 08:14:32 NZDT 2007

Jethro Carr wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 09:47 +1300, Alex Thomson wrote:
>
>> Steve Macdonald wrote:
>>
>>> Ok I have come across a link that will allow me to get the most out of
>>> the graphics card on my laptop which is a Sis 760gx card. The link is
>>> http://www.winischhofer.eu/linuxsisvga.shtml
>>>
>>> Now I have downloaded the file but it mentions stopping xorg, how do I
>>> do that, and when it comes to restarting how do I do that.
>>>
>>> Ohhh I am running suse 10.2 on this laptop.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>

>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> The way I stop X is by editing /etc/inittab (you will need to be root to
>> do this).  There will be a couple of lines near the top that would look
>> something like:
>>
>> # The default runlevel.
>> id:5:initdefault:
>>
>> Now the runlevel where X gets started varies from distro (it used to be
>> pretty standard, but Ubuntu has messed this up a bit), but is usually 4
>> or up.  On Suse, try changing the 5 to a 3, which will not start the X
>> on startup.  When you have done your command-line hacking, change this
>> back to 5 and reboot again.
>>
>> I am sure there are other ways too, but I find this pretty safe & simple.
>>

> there's a MUCH easier way, which doesn't require a reboot. :-)
>
> 1) Log out of X (gnome/kde/whatever)
>
> 2) Press: CTL+ALT+F1
>
> 3) Login as root
>
> 4) run init 3
>
> 5) Do your stuff
>
> 6) run init 5
>
> and you'll be back at X.
>
> Step 2 takes you to the CLI. Step 4 takes you to run level 3, which
> kills the GUI. step 6 takes you to run level 5 which starts the gui.
>

> The only time you should reboot a Linux box is to change the kernel -
> everything else can be restarted as a service. :-)

Thanks for that, I managed to install the file into the right location as stated on the website, but when rebooting the laptop it would not boot into kde, I could boot into the safemode though. When trying to boot into kde it would just hang with a black screen and give no error messages.

If anyone is keen to look at this laptop and help solve this for me I would be willing to pay for it.