[wellylug] Linux Server version

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jethrocarr.com
Sat Jan 13 20:50:28 NZDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 18:22 +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Cliff Pratt <enkidu at cliffp.com> writes:
> > John Durham wrote:
>
> [...]
> >>
> >> So you are really saying when it updates it becomes a differently
> >> named version? Interesting, but probably not too significant.  Just
> >> another flavour to try.
>
> Each version of Ubuntu has a code name; the name is no more significant
> than the version number, really.
>
> > No, I am saying that you will get no bug or security patches for
> > it. It's like Windows 98/Windows 2000/Windows XP. While the prior
> > versions are supported for a while, they will not be supported for
> > ever.
> >
> > For instance your Apache is version 2.0.50, while the current version
> > (in Dapper Drake 6.06) is 2.0.55, your mod_Perl is 1.99 while the
> > Dapper version is 2.0.2, your Perl is 5.8.4 while Dapper has
> > 5.8.7. and your php is 4.3.8 and the Dapper one is 4.4.4.
>
> More importantly you will have security holes, probably including some
> that are remotely exploitable, in the versions of the software you run.
>
> > You *should* upgrade, though how you do it is debatable. As with
> > Windows things may break in an upgrade.
>
> If you intend to have this system connected to the Internet you *must*
> upgrade.  If you don't you will, eventually, have the machine broken
> into and taken over by third parties.
>
> Upgrading to ensure you get security fixes is important.  It doesn't
> just hurt you when your machine is broken into -- it hurts the people
> that your machine sends spam to, who have their systems attacked from
> your machine and so forth.

yep - if you are running an internet connected server, it is very, very,
very important to make sure it is receiving security updates.

John: In your case, you want to look at going to Ubuntu 6.06 which has
an update life until 2009 on the desktop and 2011 on the server.

--
Jethro Carr

www.jethrocarr.com
www.jethrocarr.com/index.php?page=cv/cv.php