[wellylug] Sis 760gx setup

Alex Thomson Alex.Thomson at solnetsolutions.co.nz
Mon Jan 29 10:40:52 NZDT 2007

Jethro Carr wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 09:47 +1300, Alex Thomson wrote:
>> Steve Macdonald wrote:
>>> Ok I have come across a link that will allow me to get the most out of
>>> the graphics card on my laptop which is a Sis 760gx card. The link is
>>> http://www.winischhofer.eu/linuxsisvga.shtml
>>>
>>> Now I have downloaded the file but it mentions stopping xorg, how do I
>>> do that, and when it comes to restarting how do I do that.
>>>
>>> Ohhh I am running suse 10.2 on this laptop.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>

>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> The way I stop X is by editing /etc/inittab (you will need to be root to
>> do this).  There will be a couple of lines near the top that would look
>> something like:
>>
>> # The default runlevel.
>> id:5:initdefault:
>>
>> Now the runlevel where X gets started varies from distro (it used to be
>> pretty standard, but Ubuntu has messed this up a bit), but is usually 4
>> or up.  On Suse, try changing the 5 to a 3, which will not start the X
>> on startup.  When you have done your command-line hacking, change this
>> back to 5 and reboot again.
>>
>> I am sure there are other ways too, but I find this pretty safe & simple.
>

> there's a MUCH easier way, which doesn't require a reboot. :-)
>
> 1) Log out of X (gnome/kde/whatever)
>
> 2) Press: CTL+ALT+F1
>
> 3) Login as root
>
> 4) run init 3
>
> 5) Do your stuff
>
> 6) run init 5
>
> and you'll be back at X.
>
> Step 2 takes you to the CLI. Step 4 takes you to run level 3, which
> kills the GUI. step 6 takes you to run level 5 which starts the gui.
>

> The only time you should reboot a Linux box is to change the kernel -
> everything else can be restarted as a service. :-)

Thanks Jethro- your method is definitely a more elegant solution.

Rebooting after major changes is a dirty habit I haven't been able to
totally shake from my windows days :)

Attention:
This email may contain information intended for the sole use of
the original recipient. Please respect this when sharing or
disclosing this email's contents with any third party. If you
believe you have received this email in error, please delete it
and notify the sender or postmaster at solnetsolutions.co.nz as
soon as possible. The content of this email does not necessarily
reflect the views of SolNet Solutions Ltd.