[wellylug] Website not visible (config file)

michael at diaspora.gen.nz michael at diaspora.gen.nz
Wed Jan 31 12:26:06 NZDT 2007

John Durham writes:
>Here are the contents of modecideas.conf as suggested to aid
>debugging...
>
>NameVirtualHost *
><VirtualHost *>
>	ServerAdmin webmaster at modecideas.com
>
>	DocumentRoot /var/www/modecideas.com
>	<Directory />
>		Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
>		AllowOverride None
>		Order allow,deny
>		allow from all
>	</Directory>
>        AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl
>        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /var/www/modecideas.com/cgi-bin/
>	<Location "/cgi-bin/">
>		AllowOverride None
>		Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
>		Order allow,deny
>		Allow from all
>        </Location>
></VirtualHost>

OK, I'm puzzled as to why you end your VirtualHost definition here.
Shouldn't that be at the end of the file?  You might want to change that.
I notice that you've got the /cgi-bin Location defined *twice* -- is
that intentional?

>	Alias /imgs/ "/var/www/modecideas.com/imgs"

Your first warning is saying that there's an earlier Alias definition
for /imgs; because (I think) you've ended your VirtualHost definition at
this point, you're defining this Alias for *all* VirtualHosts (or rather,
the "default" vhost), and there's an earlier definition (presumably in an
"earlier" file, like httpd.conf or something) that masks this one.

>        Redirect permanent /images http://modecideas.com/imgs

The syntax error you're getting is produced by a line of code like this, in mod_alias.c:

    if (!use_regex && !ap_is_url(url) && (url[0] != '/'))
		return "Redirect to non-URL";

In other words, it's likely that ap_is_url thinks that your RHS is not
a URL.  I have no idea why it would think that, because it looks good
to me -- are there any trailing spaces, perhaps?

    -- michael.