[wellylug] Help in finding a good technical/Linux related bookstore

Jim Tittsler jtittsler at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 19:58:48 NZST 2007

On 6/13/07, Andrej <andrej at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> For instance if the machine were to run many of the tasks
> that were to be scripted.  Each invocation of the python
> interpreter will cost you more RAM than awk or sed will.

I frequently code my "shell scripts" in Python nowadays.  That way there is
only one invocation of Python so I only pay the startup cost once, and the
resulting script can be a bit more transparent.  Python's subprocess module
lets me deal with invoking subtasks and dealing with their I/O and
inevitable error conditions in readable ways.

--

Jim Tittsler     http://www.OnNZ.net/      GPG: 0x01159DB6

Python Starship  http://Starship.Python.net/crew/jwt/

Mailman IRC      irc://irc.freenode.net/#mailman