[wellylug] Sound across a network - OpenBSD.

Peter Dawson phreadde at ihug.co.nz
Tue Jun 26 15:51:00 NZST 2007

Joe Mahoney wrote:
> On 6/25/07, Joe Cook <joe.cook at xnet.co.nz> wrote:
>> I want to forward the sound to a headless box running
>> OpenBSD 4.0 connected to an amp (and speakers of course).
>> Do you know of any methods to do this?
>
> Would it practical to install X and Amarok on the headless box and run
> Amarok remotely from your laptop?
>
> Joe

It might make more sense to install moc and not bother with X, although
you won't have quite the flexibility of AmaroK.

Alternatively there is an app (mpd) for running music across the network
which allows for control on a box different from the actual player,
again (IIRC) not dependent on X at either end. I played with it briefly
before settling on moc for my system.

Cheers, Peter :-)