[wellylug] Nforce4 motherboard and underperforming network

Jamie Dobbs jamie.dobbs at ihug.co.nz
Sat May 5 17:51:25 NZST 2007

I have noticed that my Gigabit ethernet runs about half as fast under
Ubuntu  (approx. 1.5MB/s) using the forcedeth driver as it does in
Windows using the Nvidia driver (approx 3.1MB/s). These figures are at a
known network state copying the same files to and from the same location.
Is there anything I can do to tweak the forcedeth driver or am I best to
just give up and buy a better supported Gigabit card for using under
Ubuntu?
If I am best to purchase a new network card does anyone have any
suggestions for a reasonably priced Gigabit card?