[wellylug] Flash for Firefox

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jethrocarr.com
Tue Sep 11 22:21:50 NZST 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 21:48 +1200, Jim Cheetham wrote:
> On 11/09/2007, Persian <veganforlife at clear.net.nz> wrote:
> > up to making all my stuff work without help. I always get depressed each
> > time I need an upgrade as it takes so long to get stuff working and back
>
> It seems like your big problem this time is that you've left it so
> long since your last update and upgrade that you end up trying to do a
> few years worth in one go, and then hit problems. Plus the knowledge
> of how to get around upgrades to your versions is no longer current,
> so people can't help as much. It's like visiting the dentist ...
>
> You should update regularly - every month at least, for a non-critical
> home desktop system. That keeps the number of updates down to a
> manageable level each time, and reduces complexity (where complexity
> leads to problems). It sounds like you really need to be on an LTS
> version if you stick with Ubuntu, so install 6.06 and stay with it
> until 8.04 comes out ... and look at upgrading to 8.04 sometime around
> July 2008, while it's still fresh in people's minds.

Here's what I recommend:

1) Find a distribution with a long support life (eg: 3+ years). Ubuntu
LTS (version 6.06) or CentOS are two good choices.

Infact CentOS (rebuild of Redhat Enterprise Linux) has such long support
lifes (5-7yrs) I often just install it on my system and never upgrade,
since the support life outlasts my hardware's useful life span. :-D

2) Whenever there are updates available, install them - after all, they
are either security or bug fixes, so you need to apply them!

--
Jethro Carr

www.jethrocarr.com
www.jethrocarr.com/index.php?cms=blog