[wellylug] DD no go

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jethrocarr.com
Sun Apr 6 16:52:26 NZST 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 11:57 +1200, Cliff Pratt wrote:
> Going back to the original post the error was "Input/output error". You
> said "Secondly, that's normally what happens when you run out of space
> on the destination device, but after only 4.3GB?". I've not used 'dd' a
> lot but isn't the message usually "Disk Full" or something?

to explain this further:

dd doesn't have any idea how big a disk is. So it keeps transferring
bits until it runs out of data to read, or until the destination drive
refuses to write (ie: gives a I/O error).

In the event of a faulty drive not being able to write, dd will receive
an I/O error from the OS, and will assume that it means the destination
device can not write because it is out of disk space.

--
Jethro Carr

www.jethrocarr.com
www.jethrocarr.com/index.php?cms=blog