[wellylug] telstraclear nz usage reporting script

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jethrocarr.com
Sat Aug 16 12:57:00 NZST 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 08:53 +1200, Bruce Hoult wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 11:55 PM, Jethro Carr
> <jethro.carr at jethrocarr.com> wrote:
> > If you're a user of the Telstraclear cable network, I've written up a
> > basic perl script for generating reports of the amount of data used, and
> > left in the current billing period.
>
> "it is handly to be able to recieve emails reporting your data usage
> so you can plan your usage so that you don't run out during the
> month."
>
> Gosh.  If I don't "run out during the month" then I figure I've paid
> them for something I haven't used.  There's no "running out" .. they
> just happily bill you for whatever you do use, and at a considerably
> lower rate per GB than you pay for the minimum charge GBs included in
> your plan.  e.g. on the 40 GB plan I'm on, the first 40 GB effectively
> cost $2.75 each if you use them all (more if you don't), while extra
> GBs cost only $1.50.

Well, maybe it should say "so you don't go over your cap" rather than
"so you don't run out during the month" since Telstra will happily bill
you for excess usage.

Some people are on a budget and don't want to go over a set amount each
month.

This script is also useful for people who *do* go over, so they know
what to expect their bill to be at the end of the month. If you suddenly
find that you're downloading 10GB a day, this script will help you curb
your usage before you get a shockingly high bill. :-)

--
Jethro Carr

www.jethrocarr.com
www.jethrocarr.com/index.php?cms=blog