[wellylug] Greylisting .. does it work?

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Sun Dec 28 17:04:31 NZDT 2008

Ian,

Make aggressive use of the whitelist options.
I use Postgrey and find it has helped a great deal, though it is as usual,
not a silver bullet.

I have whitelisted all the IP addresses/ranges that I get 'trusted' email
from in a fairly aggressive fashion, basically all valid MTA's should be
acceptable without delay. You're looking to nail drones that can't retry,
after all.

You can also whitelist specific addresses, so if you're using a
context-address for a website signup that's going to require email
validation, can be helpful to whitelist that _first_... and save you some
delays... some of those web systems don't retry for an hour or more.. :)

Cheers
Mark.