[wellylug] XFS and JFS

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Feb 7 13:23:20 NZDT 2008

"David Antliff" <david.antliff at gmail.com> writes:
> On 07/02/2008, E Chalaron <e.chalaron at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>  The time I will probably gain with XFS does justify the risk.

I strongly advise investing in a UPS -- even a cheap five second job
will protect you from a momentary power drop, which reduces your risk
enormously.

> I used XFS for a few years, it was overkill but it worked fine. It was
> faster than ext3 in almost every way except one - deleting files is
> VERY slow.

Tuning can help with this significantly, as can using the most recent
tools (if possible) when creating the file system.

Specifically, in terms of tuning, make sure you have a large journal and
set 'logbufs=8,logbsize=262144' in your mount options[1] to allow the
kernel to buffer more metadata updates.

> There's no such thing as the 'perfect' data structure...

Indeed, no.

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  This will increase kernel memory consumption a bit, but you are
     unlikely to notice unless you have less than 512MB of RAM.

--
Daniel Pittman <daniel at cybersource.com.au>           Phone: 03 9428 6922
1/130-132 Stawell St, Richmond              Web: http://www.cyber.com.au