[wellylug] openpsfc-1.0.1 released

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jethrocarr.com
Mon Feb 25 07:39:47 NZDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 06:23 +1300, Wayne Koorts wrote:
> > OpenPSFC is an open source (GPL v2) web-based interface for controlling
> > scanners using SANE, which allows you to use a cheap consumer scanner as
> > a network capable device, without having to purchase expensive hardware.
>
> Is this really practical?  Walk to scanner, first page in.  Walk back to
> desk, scan.  Wasn't in right, walk back to scanner, adjust.  Back to
> desk.  Scan.  Back to scanner, second page, etc.  Could take all day to
> scan one document...?

That would be inefficient...

1) If you have a scanner which can only scan 1 page at a time, I would
expect you to position the scanner next to your computers (eg: home
office).

2) A feed scanner can automatically load pages by itself. Only 1 click
is needed to start the scan on the PC side, regardless of the number of
pages.

3) This is designed for smaller environments like a home office with
only a few computers, and the scanner within a few meters.

If you want a scanner that sits on the other side of the building that
can email the scan to your users, and with a built-in control interface,
then the facts of life are that you really do need to shell out the $$
for an enterprise-scale device.

--
Jethro Carr

www.jethrocarr.com