[wellylug] USB or PCI Wifi Adapter

Jo Booth thegeek at mangee.net.nz
Thu Jul 10 00:07:39 NZST 2008

On 6/07/2008, at 19:32 , Jonathan Harker wrote:

> Tim O'Brien wrote:
>> I know its hard to find what chipsets are in products, there are some
>> suggestions here:
>>
>> http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/net/wireless/cards.html
>>
>> So can any one tell me if they got lucky and buy a Wifi card or USB
>> adapter with an open source driver available?
>
> I've never had any trouble with Linksys or Netgear PCI cards. Most
> Atheros and Broadcom chipsets are supported in newer kernels and don't
> require Windows drivers (ndiswrapper)

When I bought one about 4 years ago - I got a D-Link DWL650 PCI card
for my laptop because it had an external aerial port and worked with
Linux (which was all the 7 year old laptop could handle). I had to
get Harvey Norman to import one - I think it was about $100 ;) Still
going strong, still feeding the good wifi to the right places - eg
<http://flickr.com/photos/mangee/2633789616/>

I'm sure there's a better variety of them around these days.

-Jo.