[wellylug] 5 reasons to avoid iPhone 3G - Free Software Foundation

Rob Collins robcollins at bigfoot.com
Sat Jul 12 14:12:36 NZST 2008

Bruce Hoult wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 8:42 AM, Pete Black <pete at marchingcubes.com> wrote:
>
>> GPS-enabled cellphones will report their location on demand to the
>> carrier, with no user confirmation - ostensibly for emergency response,
>> and must also be able to be activated remotely so their headset
>> microphones can be used to eavesdrop on conversations - these
>> capabilities are routinely used by to bust drug dealers etc.
>>
>> This is ongoing in the US, the UK, and probably anywhere else that
>> privacy protections are no longer a significant issue for government.
>>
>> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2220581/government-sued-tracking-mobile
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6140191.html
>>
>> 'Absolute rubbish'? I think not.
>>

> In which case this is not a stick to beat the iPhone with.  It's true
> of ALL new phones.

I don't think we should be beating Apple over the head at all for
raising the bar and putting what appears to be an outstanding and
versatile product on the market. We should however be beating monopoly
vodafone NZ over the head with it though for their marketing manager
announcing smugly that a $6000 per 2 year iphone term contract is "good
value". Sure this is a great mobile gadget but it appears that for at
least those of us in NZ, only for the rich!