[wellylug] Setting up after system failure

Pete Black pete at marchingcubes.com
Mon Jul 28 09:48:30 NZST 2008

Short answer: yes - its called SAMBA, which implements SMB (Windows file
and printer sharing)networking.

Long answer: yes - but configuring it is sometimes not as simple as one
would like, due to the mismatch between UNIX and Windows account naming
and policies, as well as the different versions of Windows default
behaviour when mounting file shares.

Under GNOME, it should be possible to right-click a directory and share
it. Whether this will actually allow a user on your Win98 workstation to
access it - I don't know.

You may also need to install and configure the SAMBA packages before
these options become available.

SAMBA usually requires some configuration  - creating samba-specific
accounts with the smbpasswd utility or similar - for user-authenticated
access, and even if you set it up for anonymous access, you can have
trouble with the default file and directory permissions. Generally
speaking, GUI configuration tools for SMB networking under Linux are
rather sub-optimal.

SWAT - Samba web administration tools - are what I usually use to
configure SMB networking, though the KDE control center has some decent
support for this stuff.

This tut. is slightly dated, but might be instructive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad17kma8rNM

-Pete