[wellylug] Setting up after system failure

John Durham john.modec at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jul 28 11:10:57 NZST 2008

Pete Black wrote:
> Short answer: yes - its called SAMBA, which implements SMB (Windows file
> and printer sharing)networking.
>
> Long answer: yes - but configuring it is sometimes not as simple as one
> would like, due to the mismatch between UNIX and Windows account naming
> and policies, as well as the different versions of Windows default
> behaviour when mounting file shares.
>
> Under GNOME, it should be possible to right-click a directory and share
> it. Whether this will actually allow a user on your Win98 workstation to
> access it - I don't know.
>
> You may also need to install and configure the SAMBA packages before
> these options become available.
>
> SAMBA usually requires some configuration  - creating samba-specific
> accounts with the smbpasswd utility or similar - for user-authenticated
> access, and even if you set it up for anonymous access, you can have
> trouble with the default file and directory permissions. Generally
> speaking, GUI configuration tools for SMB networking under Linux are
> rather sub-optimal.
>
> SWAT - Samba web administration tools - are what I usually use to
> configure SMB networking, though the KDE control center has some decent
> support for this stuff.
>
> This tut. is slightly dated, but might be instructive.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad17kma8rNM
>
> -Pete
>

>> My windows XP pro machine died yesterday due to a power problem that
>> took out the motherboard and protection devices. To restore services I
>> set up a spare machine with Ubuntu 8. So far it does email and web
>> browsing very well.
>>
>> The problem arises with file sharing. I recently published a novel:
>> http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1382737
>>
>> Development of it required full file sharing from the W98
>> c'reator'machine with the XP Pro ínternet capable machine over NETBEUI.
>> Now that the XP system is dead, simple file sharing would make a big
>> difference in the office.
>>
>> Is there yet a way to do that on a Ubuntu system?

Well, I finally got to ping the local machine succesfully from the
command prompt (after installing a network card for the local LAN). That
is as far as I get for now. At least contact is possible.

Have not located anything like SMB or Samba yet. Got any more
suggestions? (running Ubuntu 8).

--
John Durham
PC Helpers Website at http://modecideas.com