[wellylug] Installing Ubuntu on older PC

Rob Collins robcollins55 at aim.com
Mon Jun 23 15:54:44 NZST 2008

John Durham wrote:
> Rob Collins wrote:
>
>> John Durham wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, but I'm in Upper Hutt. Could arrange a trip if required.
>>>

>> Not too sure how keen you are on the Gnome based Ubuntu but if you're
>> keen on a lower resource demanding system while still getting the
>> benefits of the Ubuntu base, you might want to try Xubuntu which has the
>> Ubuntu base system but uses the much lower demand Xfce desktop . . .
>> http://www.xubuntu.org/
>>
> If I understand you correctly, this is a GUI with low resource usage? If
> so, that would be interesting.

I'm no linux wiz but that's about the sum and total of it.  Xubuntu team
also try and make low resource hungry productivity applications the
defaults too, where practical.  I once had Xubuntu Dapper Drake running
on a 15yr old laptop no problems.  Remember though Xfce is not to
everybody's taste as it behaves in slightly different manner to Gnome so
might be good idea to try live before installing.