[wellylug] Installing Ubuntu on older PC

Rob Collins robcollins55 at aim.com
Mon Jun 23 17:16:25 NZST 2008

John Durham wrote:
> Mark Foster wrote:
>

>> I am in Upper Hutt and can hook you up with Ubuntu Hardy (8.04).  I dare
>> say it would run fine on a 1.6Ghz system - the more ram the better,
>> though.
>>
>> I also have Xubuntu 7.10 - one version old but Xubuntu is good on low-spec
>> systems. I found it quite usable on my P3-1Ghz boxes with 512Mb Ram.
>>
>> Mark.
>>
> Thanks, I just finished downloading the ISO file of it. Will try the
> conversion later on and let you know how it works out.

BTW once you have an Ubuntu system running it is very easy to try out
the various desktop set-ups if you find you prefer one over another for
some reason (or like to have the choice of all of them in any session!)
to install the respective desktops on a Ubuntu base (you need broadband
connection):
for Gnome desktop do:  sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
for Xfce desktop do:  sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
for kde 3.5 desktop do:  sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
for kde 4 desktop do:  sudo apt-get install kubuntu-kde4-desktop

Rob