[wellylug] Dealing with low resolution in Ubuntu

Rob Collins robcollins55 at aim.com
Tue Jun 24 09:09:26 NZST 2008

John Durham wrote:
> Thanks for all the help getting Ubuntu updates yesterday. By late
> evening it was installed and looking pretty good. There was only one
> small problem.
>
> Screen resolution was low, which meant playing the games on it showed
> only part of the game board. The rest was below the bottom of screen. I
> tried swapping out the old VGA card for some others (older PCI types
> from stock). One it didn't like and wanted to re-install. The other was
> accepted, but with no improvement.
>
> Is it going to be necessary to re-install for this, or will it accept a
> card with more memory? There is a basic AGP slot on the motherboard.

I suspect ubuntu has just chosen the generic versa graphics setup.
Do you know what graphics card you've got?  If not at terminal do:
wget http://blogage.de/files/4359/download -O compiz-check
then:
chmod +x compiz-check
then:
./compiz-check

This will return (amongst others) what graphics chip you are running.
You will then know what graphics software modules to install or use.  If
you need a hand with this email again.

Rob