[wellylug] Dealing with low resolution in Ubuntu

John Durham john.modec at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jun 24 10:25:21 NZST 2008

Rob Collins wrote:
> John Durham wrote:
>> Rob Collins wrote:

>>> I suspect ubuntu has just chosen the generic versa graphics setup.
>>> Do you know what graphics card you've got?  If not at terminal do:
>>> wget http://blogage.de/files/4359/download -O compiz-check
>>> then:
>>> chmod +x compiz-check
>>> then:
>>>
>> I got this far without problems then here...
>>
>>> ./compiz-check
>>>
>> It said "Permission denied" (so close)...
>>
>>> This will return (amongst others) what graphics chip you are
>>> running.  You will then know what graphics software modules to
>>> install or use.  If you need a hand with this email again.
>>>
>>> Rob
>>>

> Sorry John, was a bit shorthand before.  You have to put sudo infron of
> all the script lines I wrote before!
> Rob
That was better. The first part produced no errors. When it came to sudo
./compiz-check
however, it replied "Do not run this script as root, because it might
distort its outcome. Aborting.

Clearly I need to work from somewhere else??

--
Regards, John Durham <http://modecideas.com/contact.html?sig>
ICQ number 497166248   Fax/Phone 64 4 5286786