[wellylug] TradeMe Linux jobs

Bruce Hoult bruce at hoult.org
Sun Jun 29 15:47:33 NZST 2008

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Pete Black <pete at marchingcubes.com> wrote:
> Take out the word 'proprietary' - which is hardly the case anyway -
> OpenOffice has read every .doc file i've been sent in the last few
> years

Then you've had better luck than me.  Even just a club newsletter and
roster I get monthly are enough to give OOO fits.

> And before you cry PDF - You should see how OS X preview mangles the PDF
> output of gnome-print when Type-1 fonts are used,

I suspect that -- the whole OS's rendering model being based on PDF --
Preview probably isn't the one at fault there.

> and its not like PDF renders a document uneditable. Inconvenient to edit, sure,
> but  it's no silver bullet.

It's approximately as good as sending the document on paper.  You can
edit those as well, if you want to badly enough.  PDF doesn't require
letter by letter OCR, but it puts the would-be editor to exactly the
same heuristics of reassembling words and sentences from individual
letters and word fragments based on spacial proximity.