[wellylug] TradeMe Linux jobs

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Sun Jun 29 17:17:37 NZST 2008

> The different viewpoints are quite well highlighted in Joel
> Spolsky's 'Martian Headsets' article
> (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2008/03/17.html)
>
> As an Idealist, I take comfort from George Bernard
> Shaw's quote about progress:
>
> The reasonable man adapts himself to the conditions that
> surround him... The unreasonable
> man adapts surrounding conditions to himself... All
> progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Hmm... sounds like you suggest we should all take a leaf from Bill Gate's approach. He has certainly adapted the world's desktop computer arena to suit himself & the company he founded. Whereas FOSS is usually defended as reasonable by reasoning people, so evidently must be destined for failure.

Software patents & all those things that are intended to adapt the world to you are all good things! I've obviously been misunderstanding things.

Evidently trying to be adaptable & interoperable & working with others is a bad thing, so we can all take comfort in Shaw's quote, when we realise that most of the world's computer users are supporting Microsoft & using their desktop & office suite, which is properly called progress!!

Not that I suggest many others here would defend Bill or MS as reasonable or progressive, but suggesting we should also take an unreasonable path to achieve progress may be a bit extreme.

And given this thread is about jobs & job applications (at least it was originally), I think an unreasonable approach would probably be better described as an unreasoned one. And not likely to be successful, however progressive someone may think they are.

Spotcha,

  Brent