[wellylug] TradeMe Linux jobs

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Sun Jun 29 20:35:23 NZST 2008

>> PDF still seems to be - in my humble experience - the best way to preserve
>> the desired formatting.
>>
> Once you give it to someone, it is theirs. What they do with it is
> nothing to do with you. Do you expect them to ADMIRE your design? It is
> secondary to what they want to do with the document which is to get the
> info out. I don't know of any employment agency that will put your CV
> forward 'as is'.

We were (I thought) talking about documents in a nutshell.

I concurred with other contributions (and im now muddling the discussion
going on the NZOSS list as well) which indicated that certain documents
should not be considered externally editable.

If (as someone else has posted) a customization is required, I see it as
fair that the applicant can make the changes themselves...

> PDF can preserver *your* desired formatting, but that may not be
> convenient for the recipient. If I'm an agency and I can't cast your CV
> into a form that suits the agency the CV is useless to me. At the very
> least I would want to put my Logo and details on the document somewhere,
>  just to remind the client who put this candidate forward.

Cover. Letter.  And Paperclip - or a Zip File.