[wellylug] TIF - was: Re: TradeMe Linux jobs

Atom Smasher atom at smasher.org
Sun Jun 29 21:34:22 NZST 2008

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Cliff Pratt wrote:

> As an aside, isn't CMYK-TIF a scanned format? In which case you'd end up
> with a single image? (Please note - this is nothing to do with the
> discussion above.... Just interested.) TIFF seems to me to relate to
> document capture or things like masks for electronic work??
===================

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagged_Image_File_Format

TIF can be used for scanned images, but so can any other image format (i
usually save to PNG, if i'll be using a scan in gimp, or direct to PDF (as
an image) if i need to send it to someone). yeah, what i sent was one
image per page, but the real reason the printer had it on their list of
preferred formats is because it handles CMYK. if i give them a CMYK file
(instead of an RGB file) it's one less thing to go wrong after they get
it, and that much less work for them. also, it allows me to do some
pre-press tweaks to the file that are just not possible in the realm of
RGB.

--
         ...atom

  http://atom.smasher.org/
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	 for their apparent disinclination to do so."
 		-- Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See