[wellylug] Ubuntu books and Wellington sources

nic nic at tymar.com
Tue May 13 11:34:37 NZST 2008

Not quite real paper, but I really like the safari on-line library
(http://safari.oreilly.com/). You pay a subscription and then you can put a number of
books at a time on your 'bookshelf'. once there, you have full access to the complete
text, and can usually get PDFs of bits you want to turn in to dead trees.

What I like most about Safari is that when you only really need one small section of a
book, you can get that text without having to pay for a whole book that is a) expensive,
b) mainly irrelevant, and c) likely to be fairly soon out of date, or too basic (as your
knowledge grows), or otherwise surplus to requirements. In addition, you get access to
many more books than any local bookstore could ever hold. The model's not perfect, but
it's worked extremely well for me over the last few years.

In terms of technical bookstores, Dymocks is definitely my favourite, followed pretty
closely by Capital Books.

Nic C-L