[wellylug] Cell Yellow Dog

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jethrocarr.com
Thu Nov 27 21:38:07 NZDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 21:21 +1300, E Chalaron wrote:
> Hi there
> Was wondering if anybody has ever used a Cell CPU on a PS3 / Yellow dog
> and can say something about performances for repetitive image processing
> (e.g. deconvolution on thousand of large frames).

hi E,

I have setup a PS3 to run Yellow dog, but never done any image
processing on it.

What I really wanted to do was use Linux as a media player on the PS3,
capable of streaming content from the samba shares on my fileserver, but
I found that because sony hides a lot of the fancy graphics hardware
behind a hypervisor, video playback tended to be a bit unreliable and I
was having crashing before I got annoyed and just plugged a PC into the
TV instead.

Anyway, getting back to your question:

Be aware that unless your software is written specifically to use the
floating-point SPEs on the Cell processer, you won't be able to use the
6 cores, and will only be able to use the conventional 3.2Ghz PPE core
(which is effectively a PPC CPU).

IIRC, it also only has 256MB of RAM which may cause you issues,
depending on how large the images you processing are, and how the
processing software works.

I haven't done any proper performance tests, but it doesn't seem very
snappy when running the GUI, so I suspect that if you don't have
software specially written to use the SPEs, then you'd get better bang
for your buck on an x86 system.

regards,
jethro

--