[wellylug] NIC out

Peter Lambrechtsen plambrechtsen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 09:13:42 NZDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 7:57 AM, E Chalaron <e.chalaron at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Brent Wood wrote:
>> Some options...
>>
>> Is this a official SUSE 10 box, with auto updates from Novell being applied? Could such an update have broken something?
>>
> Yep , official box, updates are automatic... so .... might be :-(

An update could have broken it, perhaps it was one of the newer kernels.

Is there anything out of place in the dmesg, does lspci and lsmod tell
you it can see the card and that it is configured and working how you
would expect it to.

>> Can you ping the box on it's own (not loopback) IP address for that NIC?
>>
> Yes I can on both Realtek and Nvidia

I do find having the same chipset card in the same machine depending
on the driver you may need to specify additional options such as which
card you are modprobing, tried ifconfig down the nic, then rmmod the
driver, then insmod the driver to the particular port one of them is
listening on.

>> Do you have a NIC that uses a different chipset/driver from the flaky one?
>>
> I will get one....

I have found the Intel E1000 and Broadcom B57 to be very stable in
SLES, most server class machines from IDM/Dell/HP ship with either of
these two cards in them and I have never had a problem.

>> If so, that could avoid any driver issues which may be causing a problem.
>>
> I will try with a live ubuntu distro if things are coming up. in that
> case I will put away the hardware problem.

I would have thought compiling your own drivers, unless the kernel
already includes support for the driver would be the most stable way
to get the card going.  Perhaps it could be one of the kernel updates
includes support for your card, so a boot parameter in grub's menu.lst
to not load the kernel module may be a way around the problem.

Peter