[wellylug] gpg: signing failed: secret key not available

Adam Bogacki afb at paradise.net.nz
Tue Oct 14 11:38:55 NZDT 2008

Hi, I have recently installed new GnuPG public and private keys and
edited .muttrc appropriately.
However, when trying to mail from mutt I get

> gpg: NOTE: old default options file `/home/adam/.gnupg/options'
> ignored gpg: skipped "886EF91C": secret key not available gpg:
> signing failed: secret key not available
But ..

> Tohunga:~# gpg --list-key afb at paradise.net.nz gpg: NOTE: old
> default options file `/root/.gnupg/options' ignored pub
> 1024D/886EF91C 2008-10-04 uid                  Adam Bogacki
> <afb at paradise.net.nz> sub   2048g/A10B5391 2008-10-04
I created an 'options' file in both root and home accounts
but they are being ingored.
> Tohunga:~/.gnupg# ls gpg.conf  pubring.gpg   random_seed
> trustdb.gpg options   pubring.gpg~  secring.gpg
and

> Tohunga:/home/adam/.gnupg# ls gpg.conf  options  pubring.gpg
> pubring.gpg~  secring.gpg  trustdb.gpg
If they are now obsolete, what has taken their place ?
I have been through this before, but can't remember how I fixed it.
What am I missing here ?

Adam Bogacki,
afb at paradise.net.nz