[wellylug] gpg: signing failed: secret key not,available

Adam Bogacki afb at paradise.net.nz
Fri Oct 17 16:14:22 NZDT 2008

Thanks Daniel, Tim, and Atom.

I have set up public and secret keys for 'root' and 'adam' accounts,
and set 886EF91C as the default public public key for 'root', and BE35CB7D
as default public key for account 'adam'.

Consequently, I get

> Tohunga:/home/adam/.gnupg# gpg --list-secret-keys
> /root/.gnupg/secring.gpg
> ------------------------
> sec   1024D/886EF91C 2008-10-04
> uid                  Adam Bogacki <afb at paradise.net.nz>
> ssb   2048g/A10B5391 2008-10-04
and

> adam at Tohunga:~/.gnupg$ gpg --list-secret-keys
> /home/adam/.gnupg/secring.gpg
> -----------------------------
> sec   1024D/BE35CB7D 2008-10-16
> uid                  Adam Bogacki <afb at paradise.net.nz>
> ssb   2048g/52394CDE 2008-10-16
Yet I still get ..

> gpg: skipped "886EF91C": secret key not available
> gpg: signing failed: secret key not available
> Press any key to continue...

when trying to mail a test message from mutt in /home/adam

I don't understand why it is trying to find the 'root' secret key rather
than the one
for account 'adam' in /home/adam ..

It does this when I comment out the default key for 'root' in
~/.gnupg/gpg.conf

At the moment I can't mail from mutt because it keeps asking for the gpg
passphrase, then
gives me the error message above.

.gpg.conf has messages that it was set up by seahorse in 'root'

> # FILE CREATED BY SEAHORSE
>
> #default-key 886EF91C
and in 'adam' accounts

># FILE CREATED BY SEAHORSE

>gpg-agent-info /home/adam/.gnome2/seahorse-aKmZLA/S.gpg-agent:8512:1

>#default-key BE35CB7D

I apt-installed seahorse before setting up gnupg on this system.

Yet it correctly shows the key from /home/adam/ (BE35CB7D) as my
personal key.

What am I missing here ?

Adam Bogacki,
afb at paradise.net.nz