[wellylug] Resolution outside of range

Cliff Pratt enkidu at cliffp.com
Tue Oct 21 09:26:41 NZDT 2008

Spiro Harvey wrote:
>> I've heard that ATI's linux drivers are notoriously crap. Is
>> upgrading to an nvidia card an option?
>
> Nvidia isn't the panacea some believe it to be.
>
> The official Nvidia drivers compile themselves as a module with version
> info bound to them. Every time there's a kernel update I have to
> completely reinstall the Nvidia drivers. Further pain comes from using
> their GLX libs, because sometimes it's just those libs that are
> overridden.
>
> Although, admittedly I am running 64bit Fedora, so it's a
> "bleeding edge" distro. ymmv with a more stable distro.

I'm running 64bit Ubuntu and now and then (once in four times?) I have
to upgrade the nVidia drivers when I get a kernel upgrade.

I use Envy which automates the process and does a lot more checking that
is easily possible manually, so if the kernel upgrade breaks the video
drivers I just reload them through Envy. Though having said that, I've
never in recent years had a kernel upgrade totally break X.

Cheers,

Cliff