[wellylug] Default email account for Ubuntu servers

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Apr 2 12:46:37 NZDT 2009

Cliff Pratt <enkidu at cliffp.com> writes:
> Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> Hong Chyr <hongchyr at yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>> How can I change the default user account to receive all system
>>> notification emails for an Ubuntu server?
>>
>> Usually, the entry for 'root' in /etc/aliases.  If you have to ask that,
>> don't forget to run 'newaliases' as root after changing that file.
>>
>> The complex answer is that it is complicated, and you would need to tell
>> us about your system configuration — at the least, which MTA you are
>> using.
>
> Ubuntu seems to use Dovecot?

Dovecot is an IMAP and POP server, not an MTA, so it doesn't do
delivery.  (Well, technically, it handles the "write to disk" part, but
it does that at the direction of the MTA)

> newaliases is a sendmail thing isn't it, or does Dovecot or whatever
> Ubuntu Server supplies need that? Exim doesn't.

newaliases is the standard command, originating from sendmail but also
required by (at least) Postfix.  I am surprised that Exim doesn't, but
I can't imagine it would hurt to run it.

I am not, I fear, an Exim user, so I don't specifically know.

Regards,
        Daniel