[wellylug] Traffic monitoring on home network

Andrew Tarr andrewtarr at gmx.net
Fri Aug 14 14:39:44 NZST 2009

Thanks to all those who replied.

Jethro, you were right in thinking 20Gb wouldn't go very far - the new flatmates after saying 5Gb would be enough for them managed to churn through the 20Gb in 4 days themselves!  Rather wanton and self-centred of them really, especially as they kept going after the speed was throttled and made life annoying for everyone.  They've received a bit of a talking-to, though, and seem to have improved.

We ended up going with Telecom's 'big time' unlimited volume but sometimes speed restricted plan, so we'll see how that works. Thanks for the headsup, Andrew.  We may still need some control or monitoring, though, given the behaviour of the new inmates.

I'm glad to know of the existence of Soekris, Jethro.  If I had my own place I'd be interested in using something like that.

Routers with SNMP seem on some cursory web-searching to be enterprise-level things manufactured by the likes of CISCO, a bit too expensive for home-networking unless you have a million in your other set of pants.

I'm also glad to know of the existence of dd-wrt and tomato, although routers that they can run on seem hard to come by in NZ.

However, the wireless modems Telecom are selling (or giving you if you sign up for 24 months) look as though they have monitoring and shaping QoS:

https://www.telecom.co.nz/broadband/select/1,10627,205730-204473,00.html?action=/modem

claims they are a TG585,

http://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/dsl-modems-gateways/products/product-detail.php?id=161

has a lot of stuff about them.  The datasheet says they have 'diffserv IP QoS', and in the rather extensive documentation they provide on that site, there are documents about configuring Quality of Service stuff which includes metering and shaping.  If we need it I'll probably get one of these.

-Andrew.