[wellylug] Network Attached Storage

Lindsay Hunter lindsay at csw.co.nz
Tue Feb 17 09:28:39 NZDT 2009

When I began my search, I was thinking about upgrading my local network
to full gigabit ethernet.  I have a mixture of devices, and files sizes
are increasing so backup and stuff becomes an issue.  19 Gb of Intunes
is an example.  A mixture of USB2 devices, and 100 mbit switches etc.
Time to coordinate.

NAS would need to operate at close to disk transfer speeds, 1 Gb
ethernet, be industry standard files sytems, quiet and cool.

Can we do that?  With ethernet, it can be setup up a long way from the
user which means noise is not a problem.

Lindsay