[wellylug] Postfix error

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Jul 9 19:19:20 NZST 2009

"Peter Lynch" <Peter.Lynch at acc.co.nz> writes:

> My postfix server stopped receiving and sending emails on Tuesday, and I
> found these entries in my syslog.  Can anyone explain what might have caused
> this, and how I can use monit to restart the necessary services if this
> happens again?
>
> Jul  7 21:17:10 helena postfix/master[30661]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/qmgr pid
> 31795 killed by signal 9
> Jul  7 21:17:10 helena postfix/master[30661]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/tlsmgr
> pid 1834 killed by signal 9
> Jul  7 21:17:10 helena postfix/master[30661]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/pickup
> pid 27957 killed by signal 9

signal 9 is 'KILL', the most aggressive "stop running now" signal you can send
to a process.  It /shouldn't/ normally be sent to postfix anything, but was in
your case.

Sadly, there is nothing in that log it indicate what sent the signal, so no
way to comment on what you can do to prevent it happening again.

The best you can do is see if it happens again, and then look for common
elements in what happened at that time.

Regards,
        Daniel