[wellylug] Repairing Ubuntu

Carl Turney c.turney at orcon.net.nz
Sat Jul 18 17:04:36 NZST 2009

Hi Guys,

I've recently discovered "The Ultimate Boot CD" ver 4.1.1

If you've got a system with a CD drive, the ability to change the boot
sequence so it boots off CD before the hard disk, a connection that can
download the 118 "mega"byte ISO image, and a system that can burn it to
CD, it can be rather helpful.

"free" is a nice price to pay
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

Has lots of shareware utilities for testing different parts of the systems.

I've been recently using...
"CPU burn in" to check the processor.
"Memtest 86+" to test the RAM.  (Newer version at memtest.org)
"Active@ KillDisk" to completely wipe the hard disk.
"Salvation HDD Scan & Repair" to do a surface scan.

These are just the tip of the iceberg, but there are only so many hours in
the day, and I'm behind on my student marking.

Cheers,

Carl
Greymouth (on the Mainland)