[wellylug] Repairing Ubuntu

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Sat Jul 18 18:21:16 NZST 2009

> You pretty much need to do what it says. fsck is the equivalent of
> 'scandisk' and is used to repair errors within the filesystem.  Get a
> command prompt, ensure you're root, and run fsck on the specified
> partition.  It'll either work and sort you out - or your problems are
> significant enough to warrant a good hard look at your system.
>
> I may be able to help, just need to get to grips with what you're trying
> to achieve.  A from-scratch approach will probably help clear up alot of
> your woes.

For anyone interested, I paid John a visit a little while ago; the hard
disk concerned had definate signs of physical damage and/or impending disk
failure based on the serious number of errors fsck was generating on the
partition concerned...

As I left Ubuntu 9.04 was installing on another drive.

John, hope you have more success with that one... feel free to post onto
the LUG if you have troubles, try to be as clear as possible with regards
to the symptoms - how you got to where you were - and what your
intentions are ;-)

Cheers
Mark.