[wellylug] Read-only file permissions across network

Colin & Josephine Lewis cjlewis at slingshot.co.nz
Thu Jul 23 16:03:58 NZST 2009

I seem to be having a problem with Open Office documents created in OO
on my laptop (running XP) coming up in read-only mode when transfer them
across my samba network onto my linux box and then try to edit them in
OO from there.  Both machines are running OO3.1.  I suspect it is
something to do with network settings on my linux box as transferred
files appear in nautilus file explorer showing a lock symbol, but can be
opened for editing across the network from my laptop?  Opening them for
editing as a file copy and then saving the copy under a new file name
does solve the problem, but is a nuscience factor I would rather not
have to live with.
Any suggestions on what the problem might be and ways to solve it would
be appreciated.

Colin