[wellylug] Databasing and Annotating pictures under Ubuntu8.10

Steve Baker steve at stevebaker.org
Sun Mar 15 14:11:14 NZDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Jeff Hunt <jeffhunt90 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I cannot find any list of Nautilus commands to cause a mv (move /
> rename) to happen from the terminal or a Python program. In fact
> Nautilus appears to be undocumented in the places I have looked.
> Surely there must be a command such as "Nautilus_rename test test1"
> but where do I find it? I confess I am emailing you guys first before
> searching the Nautilus site carefully.

Nautilus uses gvfs/gio under the hood so the gvfs-* commands like
gvfs-copy might retain metadata.

There might even be python bindings for the gvfs/gio libraries which
will allow direct manipulation of files (maybe even reading/writing
metadata, I'm not sure).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GVFS
http://blogs.gnome.org/johan/2008/07/15/gio-python-bindings/

cheers