[wellylug] off-topic whining

Tim McKenzie tjm1983 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 18:47:08 NZST 2009

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:28:49 Jethro Carr wrote:
> However, when people on mailing lists start accusing guys who
> are respectful of women of using sexist language it tends to
> get people pretty angry.

I didn't see Daniel doing much "accusing"; he seemed to be going
out of his way to "keep all commentary civil, and be courteous",
as the monthly posting recommends.  In contrast, one of the
its own, this might not be too surprising.  Quoting again from the
monthly posting, "no one is immune to a visit from Mr Grumpy".
However, I was slightly surprised to see two others supporting
that message, within five minutes.

What does this tell people who might be directly, personally
offended in future?  That if they dare to politely mention on the
list that they took offence, then they can expect to be told to
shut up?  I don't think a list like that would be a very nice
place to be.

> Anyway, I apologise if I came across too aggressive but Daniel
> touched a raw nerve with myself and others on this list.

I hope that this apology can be accepted, and that people can be
confident that in future, polite objections to language used on
this list won't be met with aggressive responses.  In order for
people to have such confidence, some may be waiting for apologies
from two more people.

For the record, I'm not convinced by the argument that "guys"
shouldn't be used to refer to a group of both sexes.  (Why
shouldn't we object instead to the use of "guy" to refer to only
one sex?)  I know of very few women who object to the all-
inclusive use of the word "guys", but there may be more of them
than I think.  Nevertheless, like John, I was put off by some of
the responses I read when someone did express an objection.

Tim
<><